Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lovely February

Guitar of Memories

I thought I should write down what my personal challenge for February is here. So that others can see and I am held accountable by my own pride or whatever to see it through.
This is a picture of my guitar. It was originally my mom's guitar that she used to play in college. She had me at 24 so perhaps you can do the math and figure out how old this thing is. It almost didn't make it and it has had some repairs done to it, but I'm a beginner so I said I would take it. If I really fall in love with the guitar as an instrument, I will buy a new one of my own. But for now, this is what I'm learning on and it makes me feel good to play on a guitar with history. I know it's special for my mom because she has kept it all this time through all of our moves (even from Korea to here so long ago!) and she told me I shouldn't throw it away even if I don't play anymore. I would never.

So the February challenge is to play the guitar at least 20 minutes per day. That is a short practice time but my pain threshold (I'm left handed and am trying to learn the regular way of playing) is low-average at best so that's where I'll start. By the end of the month, I hope to have learned to play most of the easier worship songs (which is why I wanted to learn in the first place, to worship God more at home) and know a couple of favorites by heart. The guitar is so different from the piano (besides the obvious of course) and even though I know how to play worship songs on the piano, it just seems more natural with the guitar. I'm a little hesitant to jump in like this because I keep thinking "How long will this go where I can play every single day so my fingers don't turn soft again?" but that's just silly thinking. I will enjoy it for now and I know I'll continue if I love it. And I think I will... and for now I want to devote my learning time to just worship songs so I can be my own singing, guitar playing, piano playing worship band. I miss it a lot.

No comments: