Thursday, August 5, 2010

Heartbeat

First of all, thank you for the sweet comments on my last post. I really appreciate the prayers and best wishes for me and tokki, I believe and know it makes a difference.

I realize some, or most of you, have never been pregnant and maybe you'll be bored or uninterested with what I share about my pregnancy. Because this is a personal blog, I don't think I'll be able to help but post about it but I hope you'll keep reading. This is my first time so I'm learning as I go and all I can say is that I had no idea about all this stuff before I was pregnant. When it's someone else's experience you don't tend to keep up and you check back once in a while and it seems to progress really fast. Well, now that it's my experience it's an everyday thing for me and it's more special (keep this in mind as I gush over the smallest details!) and it's oh so slow. Time used to whiz by but for the past few months it's been slow going trying to get to the next point! (example: Got a + on pregnancy test, when can I see a doctor? 3 WEEKS?! And every day is torture.)

And you know what happens when you spend too much time online reading other people's stories. You start wondering if that could be you, oh no you have the same symptoms what if (?!), did that happen to you is it bad if it didn't, do I have to get that checked, is the baby still sticking around inside, etc. Basically a lot of unnecessary worrying because every person is different, every baby is different, every pregnancy is different. I've been praying nonstop for peace of mind and it has been given to me every single time. Like last night!

The world is a better place (technologically speaking). Pregnant women can now rent or buy their own fetal dopplers to use at home to check on the baby's heartbeat in between doctors visits (which happen every 4 weeks in the beginning). I bought mine off ebay and it came last week. Depending on the person, these dopplers can detect fetal heartbeats from as early as 8-10 weeks. I couldn't wait so I tried when I first got it. No luck, maybe it's too early. Tried again a few days later. Er, guess little tokki is hiding. Tried again a few days later. Still hiding, is it my tilted uterus? And finally, last night we tried it again and found it in a few minutes!

Have you ever heard a fetal heartbeat before? Well, I hadn't (apart from what I heard at 6w5d at ER) and it's amazing. It's confirmation that YES the little one is still alive and healthy inside! Tare and I were in awe and kept thinking about it and playing it over in our heads. I really needed to hear this.


And my ♥ bursts with love.

In other news, I had been doing pretty well with morning sickness. Just a little more nausea some days but pretty much fine to eat and smell most things. But last night for for the first time I threw up! Oh man it was horrible but I was so happy! :D Another sign tokki is doing fine.

3 comments:

Starry said...

That's adorable! How lucky to be able to hear so early, I bet that eases your mind. I will definately want to get one of those when the time comes.

I think a blog is like a diary and everything you feel comfortable sharing should be shared. I can understand how it might not be of interest to everyone so keeping regular content going strong will keep people here.

Congratulations again and I look forward to lots of updates!

Jamie Alison said...

Oh my goodness the heartbeat! It's amazing. I certainly have never been pregnant, but if I was in your situation, I know I would be worried every day; praying constantly that the baby will be healthy.
Take care of yourself as well :]

Mariana Takagui said...

"every baby is different, every pregnancy is different"
Is this true and do not worry because being pregnant is an incredible experience, beautiful and unique!