Monday, October 11, 2010

friends, food, & fun

friends
{L & C & myself on the Santa Monica Pier}

I met up with two of my long-time friends this weekend. (I wish we could have had our final posse member there to complete the reunion, we missed you S!) We've been friends since middle and high school and it has been at least a year since I've seen them in person. We're all separated now and leading different but very adult lives now. It's amazing to see how far we've come.

friends
{Lunch at I Cugini Italian restaurant}

friendsfriends
{pretty people}

After lunch we walked around 3rd Street Promenade. We watched the dancers for a while until they tried to recruit L to dance with them. We ran away.
Street dancers
Street dancers
Street dancers
Street dancers

Crochet graffiti
{crochet graffiti}

Colorado
{Ah, Colorado... how I miss you during the fall and winter...}

Tare and I went to Gyenari, a Korean BBQ place in Culver City, for dinner. The interior was very pretty and modern for a KBBQ place, but it does seem to have some fusion offerings so I'm thinking it's geared more towards those unfamiliar with Korean food.

Gyenari
Gyenari
Gyenari

We ordered one order of Gyenari Galbee which came out with the standard banchan which was tasty (especially the mu-gook) and rice.

Gyenari
Gyenari
Gyenari

The galbee was a little too sweet and thin for me but it was a good meal. I don't actually know if $28 for one portion is expensive or not... we weren't too hungry so we were able to share so I'm guessing the portion isn't too small.

Gyenari
Gyenari
{"Our Famous Green Tea Donuts" with buttermilk raspberry dipping glaze and Ghirardelli chocolate sauce}
The donuts were fresh but I don't really like cake donuts so I didn't enjoy it. The sauces weren't that great either.

Overall, my impression is that the food is somewhat overpriced (especially the appetizers) and people who haven't had Korean food before wouldn't know. Maybe they wouldn't care, I don't know, but I'd rather go to an authentic place that is cheaper and much more generous with their portions.

I wish every weekend would be as fun as this one.

1 comment:

missy pig said...

the crochet bike is AWESOMEEEEE i wish there was one in nyc