Saturday, November 27, 2010

Crochet Week: For the Sister

This week I'll be sharing the different crochet projects I worked on last month. The gifts have met their owners so I'm free to share!

Crochet mittens #2

Crochet mittens #3

Crochet mittens #3

Today is my baby shower! My sister and her sweet friend planned it for us so as thank you gifts, I crocheted a set of mittens for each of them + other goodies.
I followed this pattern and used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Linen and Black and Baby's First in some shade of blue (I can't seem to find it online!). I asked them what colors they liked and my sister chose a sort of khaki and turquoise and her friend chose black. If you can't see clearly, I cross stitched hearts on the mittens.

The pattern was extremely easy to follow considering I had never made mittens before. The other patterns I had come across in the past few years were very confusing for some reason when it gets to the thumb hole but this one led me through fine. I tested the pattern first just in case and ended up with these:

Crochet mittens #1

I loved that they were so fast to work up and the fact that they have the cuffs at the end so they look a little more like true mittens and not oven mitts.

Some things I didn't like about the pattern:
-they do kinda look like oven mitts in the end if you don't embellish them because of the single crochet (but that's an easy fix as you can see)
-the pattern sizes were not consistent for me and the test mittens were made in older kids size (after seeing women's size was for some really gigantic man hands) and the other ones were made in toddler size because another pair turned out to be more of a man hands size when following the older kids size again --not sure what's going on but I would stick with toddler size if you're using regular worsted weight yarn and have average lady hands because they will fit perfectly and you can work more rounds up for longer fingers (try on as you work)
-I ended up with a hole where the thumb and body of the mitten meet every time I made this... not sure if that's a mistake on my part or the pattern but I just sewed it up as I was weaving in ends
-I'd always heard about the sock problem --you make one and then you don't feel like making the other right away-- well, I felt a little bit of that as I was working on these. But you need two to make a pair!

These gifts were again received with love and smiles so I feel really great about the time spent making them. It's worth the time and sometimes frustrations that you feel when working on handmade gifts when the recipient knows it's one-of-a-kind and is excited about it! And like I mentioned before, the anticipation of giving the gift is a high for me.

♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥
Also, today is the last day left to enter the giveaway going on right now! Can't wait to pick the winner!

7 comments:

Michelle-esque said...

What lovely mittens! I hope you have a fantastic baby shower! :)

Fumouffu/ Daycia said...

Those are adorable! Thanks for posting the tutorial! I'll try these out myself!

vivatveritas said...

your friends are so lucky to have received these! i dont think they look like oven mitts at all. i love how you embellished them with hearts and bows!

Linda said...

Yes it is that time of year again. Your mittens are very cute and I am sure the person to receive them will greatly appreciate your work.

C + C said...

these are super cute! i only know how to knit scarves but this is inspiring. God bless!

Jacky {The Sweetest Petunia} said...

These are so adorable! I haven't yet attempted to crochet mittens, but I might have to try these very soon. :)

Holly Knitlightly said...

These are so cute!! You did a wonderful job. :)