Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mommy Essentials: Part 3

eccd

Before I was a mom, I never knew how happy I'd be to see poo. I think Tare and I seriously cheered when tokki had his first poo! Little newborns pee and poo a lot, so the question is: would I rather use a disposable diaper and have lots of trash (+lots of $$$) or use cloth diapers and do a little more laundry? Cloth please!

Now, we did have to use some disposables in the beginning because I hadn't bought newborn size cloth diapers (hearing that he would outgrow them so fast it's not worth it) and he was smaller than I expected so he didn't fit! We used Seventh Generation chlorine-free diapers for the first couple of weeks but we have fully moved onto cloth diapers and elimination communication (EC). EC is basically a parent responding to a baby's signals that he or she needs to pee or poo. And yes, newborns can communicate those needs! (If you'd like to know more about it, I'd recommend Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer or go to diaperfreebaby.org.)

I was skeptical whether I'd be able to read my son's signs to go potty but he really does communicate them to me and I'm successful most of the time at getting him to the potty in time. I love getting to know my baby in yet another way and being able to communicate with him and respond to his needs right away. I also love that Daddy is doing such a great job with this too! ;)

Since starting almost full-time EC two weeks ago, our cloth diaper usage has decreased significantly during the day (usually only one or two diapers soiled until night time) and we do pretty well during the night too. The Baby Bjorn Smart Potty is great to use for EC and we also use our sink since he's still little.

My cloth diaper stash includes:
-3 Thirsties Duo Diapers
-2 prefolds & 1 Kissaluvs fitted with 1 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap
-1 BumGenius Deluxe AIO
-4 SoftBums Echo diapers with 12 super pods & 3 mini pods

It's not a big stash at all and I was planning on purchasing more later, but now I think all we need are some more prefolds and we're good!

If you have a baby, what diaper system are you using? Would you try EC?
If not, I'm sorry for all the baby related posts! I don't think it'll let up anytime soon but I hope it's an interesting glimpse into my world and what I'm thinking about/doing these days with a little one.

2 comments:

ieo said...

wait...you're telling me your 5 week old baby uses a potty?? I never knew that was possible, I'm guessing that will make potty training a lot easier later on! :D

Sonja said...

this is so interesting!! i'd love to hear more about newborns on the potty!! we're using up the rest of the disposable newborn size diapers we got from the baby showers. i actually just purchased a set of bumgenius AIO cloth diapers. excited to try them out!