Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A day in the life

Life slows down a lot when you have a baby.. time, not so much. The days quickly pass but the day itself is spent quite leisurely.




A typical day goes something like this...
I hear L wake up and I turn and open my eyes to his smiling face. I take him potty and we do a little stretching and roll around in bed and nurse. I crawl out of bed and he follows suit, I clean his potty and put contacts in, brush my teeth while L waits for me.

We walk out to the living room where we spend most of our day. We take some time to nurse again or read a couple of books before breakfast. I tell L it's time for breakfast and he walks towards his highchair or he plays while I prepare our breakfast. I strap him in his chair and we pray together. We eat slowly and I check the usual on my iPhone until he lets me know he's done. If he's happy, I give him a few puffs to snack on while I wash the dishes or let him down and clean him up to walk around with his water bottle while I finish up.

Until his nap time, which is much later now that he's dropped one of his two naps, we mostly read books L brings me and watch K videos on the TV (my guilty pleasure which I try to limit to two a day). I change his diaper every hour to hour and a half since L has lost interest in ECing for now and we snack on puffs and dried fruit snacks and nurse nurse nurse.

After his nap, we eat lunch and continue to play and read. These days he asks me to wear him on my back by bringing me the mei tai and assuming position on my back. I watch as he performs silly antics like trying to somersault and carrying around a bag on his shoulder like he's shopping. If we're watching another video (usually music related) he dances and claps. He drops by where I'm sitting signing for mam-ma or water or brings me his snacks to open for him. We read about cows and he moos, we see an elephant and he brings his arm up and makes a bbbuuuuu sound. He tells me he loves me by bringing his short arms as high as they go to make a heart near his head and gives me kisses which I readily accept and return with joy.

I narrate what I'm doing or what we're doing together all day. I used to spend my days in silence by myself but now I have to chatter which is unlike me but is pleasant to do with another person who listens well. Soon Tare is home and L runs toward him with open arms, wanting to be held. I prepare dinner while the boys play and we eat together as a family. We talk to each other about our day and mostly it's about funny or new things L did that make us both laugh and confirm that our son is a genius.

Somehow after talking and playing and cleaning up, it's already bedtime for the little one. Each night it always comes so soon, but I change L into a disposable diaper for the night and we head in to the bedroom with a good night wave to Appa. L is sometimes very tired and nurses easily to sleep but sometimes he needs time to calm down and rolls around the bed making weird noises and yelling into the darkened space while I look on in amusement (and sometimes frustration). Finally when he is heavy with sleep I carefully roll away and place my pillow against the edge of the bed and creep out to have some time with my husband and some time for myself.

Looking back on my day I know I haven't completed many chores. Most days we never even make it outside of the house! We cuddled, shared meals, cleaned up, read books, lay around, laughed. It's hard to explain to someone else exactly what it is we did that day that seems substantial enough to share.

I love this passage from What Mothers Do by Naomi Stadlen:
"All this time she is being with her baby. It is this invisible relationship that feels like doing nothing. She is refraining from busying herself with a long list of tasks and instead is slowing down her life to match the pace of his. ...It isn't easy. Yet here is the very source of the momentous relationship between the two of them. Far from doing nothing, she is doing everything."
I'm blessed to spend each moment of L's life with him. I know it won't always be this way so I cherish the memories as we're making them, even if they're memories of just being together, being with him, being present, doing "nothing" which is everything.

2 comments:

cat said...

this is an awesome blog! i love the way you think and view life :) 

danya said...

beautiful days spent with a beautiful boy!